Experience the true variety of Tasmania's landscape, from the North Coast's patchwork agricultural hinterland to the renowned Cradle Mountain on the edge of the Tasmanian World Heritage Wilderness Area.
Duration: 2 - 4 days
Print: Cradle Country [PDF 315KB]
Devonport - Sheffield
- In Devonport, walk along foreshore tracks to the Devonport Maritime Museum and Tiagarra Aboriginal Centre, or drive 4 km on the Bass Highway to the Don River Railway - a full-sized locomotive service from the Don Village Station to Coles Beach.
- From Devonport, drive south to Latrobe and walk its historic streetscapes, where treasures can be uncovered in its many antique stores.
- At the nearby Warrawee Forest Reserve, you may be lucky enough to spot a platypus from the viewing platform, or join a guided tour and learn from an expert about this unique, flat-billed creature.
- Latrobe is also the birthplace of competitive wood chopping. Visit the Australian Axeman's Hall of Fame, a tribute to this chopping heritage.
- Food lovers can take a half-day tour from Devonport to Elizabeth Town and sample traditional English country cheeses such as cheddar and Lancashire at Ashgrove Cheese and fresh fruit produce at the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm.
- From Latrobe continue on to Sheffield