Franklin House was built by convicts and is located in northern Tasmania at Franklin Village, Launceston. Built by former convict and successful businessman Britton Jones, Franklin House is notable for its rich use of imported Australian Red Cedar. Extended to accommodate one of the colonies leading private schools which operated there from 1842 until 1866 the house finally became the birthplace of the National Trust in Tasmania in 1960.
Franklin House survives with house, stables and garden. Nearby and also accessible is St James Church which was built in 1845 and has many associations with the House.
The Tearooms are open during house hours for light meals and refreshments. The Metro Bus services, numbers 40 and 50 from the City to Franklin village, stop outside the House.
- Interpretive Centre
- Picnic Area
- Public Toilet