Glen Clyde House
Glen Clyde House is a gallery, and café at Hamilton, in Tasmania's Derwent Valley. Hamilton is an easy one-hour drive north-west of Hobart.
Glen Clyde House is a restored, convict-built 1840s coach inn. The craft gallery stocks a wide range of Tasmanian-made itemsby over 30 local artisans including glass and wood work by the owner. Craft work includes pottery, glass, leatherwork, textiles, toiletries, and woodcraft made from Tasmanian specialty timbers. Fine art prints and original artworks are also available. Adjacent to the gallery you can enjoy freshly prepared meals in the café by the open fire, or dine alfresco on the broad verandah overlooking the garden.
The extensive garden covering half an acre is currently under re-construction and will be re-opened in the near future to include an English inspired cottage section and an area devoted to native plants.
Hamilton, a classified historic town, has retained much of its original colonial architecture. Stroll around the town and view some of its significant historic buildings including St Peters Church (1838), the Old Schoolhouse (1856) and Prospect Villa (1834) with its magnificent formal gardens.