Experience the variety of Tasmania's landscapes, from the north coast's patchwork agricultural hinterland to Cradle Mountain on the edge of the Tasmanian World Heritage Wilderness Area.
Duration: 2 - 4 days
Print: Cradle Country [PDF 315KB]
Devonport - Sheffield
- In Devonport, walk along foreshore track to the Devonport Maritime Museum and Tiagarra Aboriginal Centre or drive 4 km on the Bass Highway to the Don River Railway - a full-sized locomotive service from the Don Village Station to Coles Beach.
- From Devonport, drive south to Latrobe and walk its historic streetscapes where treasures can be uncovered in its many antique stores. Reliquaire, once a hotel, is now a mind-bogglingly massive gift and toy shop where more than 20 rooms burst with everything from dolls to telescopes to puppets to homemade fudge.
- At the nearby Warrawee Forest Reserve, spot a platypus from the viewing platform or join a guided tour and learn about this unique, flat-billed creature.
- Latrobe is the birthplace of competitive wood chopping. Visit the Australian Axeman's Hall of Fame, a tribute to this chopping heritage.
- From Latrobe, drive 30 minutes to Elizabeth Town and sample traditional English country cheeses such as cheddar and Lancashire at Ashgrove Cheese and fresh fruit produce at the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm.
- From Latrobe continue on to Sheffield