Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens
The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens were established in 1818 and are located on the Queens Domain, just a short walk from Hobart's CBD.
The Gardens hold historic plant collections and a large number of significant trees, many dating back to the nineteenth century as well as the world's only Subantarctic Plant House. Here, plants from subantarctic islands in high southern latitudes are displayed in a climatically-controlled environment, where chilly fogs and mists mirror the wet, cold conditions of their island homes.
The Gardens also contain some of Tasmania's most significant built heritage, including the Superintendent's cottage (now the Administration Office) and the Arthur Wall. This wall, of a design once common in Britain, is hollow and capable of being heated to encourage the growth of fruit trees planted beside it.
The visitor centre houses a restaurant, souvenir shop, and a gallery with regularly changing displays by local artists, together with a display area containing the Gardens' own exhibitions.
The Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens are open 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Read more on Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens