The Tasmanian Transport Museum is located just 8km from the Hobart CBD and can be reached easily by car (via the Brooker Hwy) or the METRO bus services that go to or pass through Glenorchy. The Museum is open every Sunday afternoon from 1.00 pm to 4.00 pm (last entry 3.00pm) but on the first and third Sundays, open
between 11.00 am and 4.00 pm because on these days either one of the railcars or one of their two operating steam engines offer short rides to patrons.
The Museum houses many examples of road and rail transport including Tram 141, which was the first item to be saved in 1960 for a future Museum, two of Hobart's electric Trolley Buses and the only double-decker tram to survive from the late 1940's. Amongst the railway collection is the oldest carriage to operate in Tasmania (AB1 - built in the UK in1869) and the first Main Line diesel-electric locomotive (X1) to operate in Australia. The TTMS has been awarded a Heritage Marker for its collection by Engineering Heritage Australia.
The Museum now has a wonderful model railway which at the press if a button, brings 8 trains to life including Thomas and Toby. On the first and third Sundays, the Tasmanian Fire Museum volunteers also attend and open their display to the public.