The Tasmanian Transport Museum is located just 8 km from the Hobart CBD and can be reached easily by car (via the Brooker Hwy) or the Metro Tasmania bus services that go to or pass through Glenorchy.
The Museum is open every Sunday between 11am and 3pm. On the first and third Sunday of each month the museum offers train rides hauled by Steam locomotives or Railcars.
The Museum houses many examples of road and rail transport including Tram 141, which was the first item to be saved in 1960 for a future Museum. Two of Hobart's electric Trolley Buses and the only double-decker tram to survive from the late 1940s also form part of the museum collection.
Amongst the railway collection is the oldest carriage to operate in Tasmania (AB1 - built in the UK in 1869). The first Main Line diesel-electric locomotive (X1) to operate in Australia and the last built English Electric locomotive ZA6. A number of Steam locomotives are also on display.
A large model railway is on display in the Road Transport Building and on train running days the Tasmanian Fire Museum opens their display to museum visitors.
The TTMS has been awarded a Heritage Marker for its collection by Engineering Heritage Australia.