Runnymede is an elegant colonial homestead situated in New Town, just an eight minute drive north of Hobart CBD (en route to MONA).
It was built from 1836 for Robert Pitcairn, the first barrister to qualify in the colony and a leading campaigner against the transportation of convicts from Britain. The second owner was Bishop Francis Nixon the first Anglican Bishop of Hobart.
When Captain Charles Bayley bought the house in 1864, he named it Runnymede after his favourite whaling ship. The Bayley family lived in the house for the next 100 years.
The extensive gardens feature historic trees and plants. The house and gardens are accessible by guided tours (bookings advised via our online booking system) and there are also public and private events booked at Runnymede throughout the year.