Actively welcomes people with access needs.
Originally constructed in 1854, it was designed by the renowned ex-convict architect Frederick Thomas who was responsible for many landmark colonial buildings. The cottage was groundbreaking for its time in that it was planned to provide improved lodging to entice immigrant farmworkers and their families to rural Tasmania. The resultant sandstone building is very distinctive in style with its high pitched roof, five-meter ceiling and commanding position overlooking the surrounding pastures. Extensively renovated in recent years, it combines wonderful old features like the original wooden staircases, tall deep-set windows, original baker’s ovens and a huge sandstone fireplace in the sitting room, with thoughtfully sourced furnishings that harmonize with and enhance the character of the original building. A large private verandah is a perfect spot for soaking in the views. The cottage has two character-filled bedrooms. The main bedroom is on the ground floor with an ensuite bathroom and an extra single bed. The second bedroom is accessed through the main bedroom via very steep and narrow stairs and is not suitable for children or the mobility impaired and does not have a separate bathroom. There is a fully equipped kitchen and breakfast provisions.4
This Cottage is currently not available as it is being renovated.3
This cottage is currently being refurbished with completion scheduled for December 2021