Welcome to Launceston, or ‘Launnie’ as the locals call it.
This vibrant cultural and gastronomic hub is home to a tight-knit and diverse community of winemakers, artists, distillers, designers, growers and nature lovers from around the world.
Watching over the confluence of three rivers – the North Esk, South Esk and kanamaluka / River Tamar – Launceston is a city on a very human scale and is easily explored on foot. Wild and landscaped spaces are linked by heritage streetscapes and thoughtful architectural adaptations – a dynamic blend of old and new, tradition and innovation.
Cataract Gorge is the leafy heart of Launnie – a spectacular natural canyon that’s been a sacred meeting place for Tasmanian Aboriginal communities for tens of thousands of years.
The largest city in northern Tasmania (and the third oldest in Australia, dating back to 1806) is also a food bowl of top Tasmanian produce – on your plate and in your glass. From farmers’ markets and paddock-to-plate meals to urban bars and the Tamar Valley’s cool-climate wineries, Launceston sits at the global dinner table as a UNESCO City of Gastronomy.
In Launnie, the farm gate is the corner store, nature is on tap, and the cellar never runs dry.
- Meet farmers and growers at the Saturday-morning Harvest Market Launceston, a true gastronomic delight.
- Wander Launceston’s city streets, a jewel-box of architectural treasures from across the eras.
- Amble along riverfront paths and boardwalks; or explore the crags, walkways and epic chairlift at gorgeous Cataract Gorge. The Cataract Walk linking Kings Bridge to the Gorge Cliff Grounds is temporarily closed and is expected to reopen in January 2024. All other walking tracks remain open.
- Immerse yourself in art, history and natural science at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery (QVMAG), Australia’s largest regional gallery.
- Hop between cellar doors in the Tamar Valley, tasting top cool-climate drops from Tasmania’s biggest wine region.
- Download the Discover Tasmania app, your customised gateway to Australia’s island state. Overflowing with great things to eat, drink, see and do, the app’s real-time tips and updates zero-in on your location, so you won’t miss a thing.
Places to stay
Explore diverse Launceston accommodation options. From stylish heritage cottages to boutique townhouses, get as close to the action as you like.