To be a gentleman in the 1800s meant more than just opening doors and tipping one’s hat.
There was a certain nobility and extravagance that came with it, which is very evident at Highfield Historic Site.
Highfield is the epitome of a gentleman's home and farm of the 1830s, with elegant Regency design, convict barracks, barns, stables and a chapel, decorated by a large ornamental garden.
The property overlooks the lands the manager would have once controlled, with views across to Stanley, the Nut and Bass Strait beyond.
Edward Curr, the chief agent of the Van Diemen's Land Company (VDL), started construction in 1832, and later additions were made by John Lee Archer. This VDL settlement began in 1826 on 350,000 acres granted under Royal Charter by George IV. There was a lot of space to occupy in Highfield Estate, and just as well, because Edward Curr and his wife had all of 15 children.
It has since shrunk and covers a more modest two hectares and is open to visitors daily from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
Highfield is an ideal venue for weddings, meetings, and artists in residence.